Peach picking season runs from early August to early September. Freestone peaches and nectarines start picking in early August. We grow our peaches and nectarines on quad V style trees so that we can produce fruit close to the ground for easier picking.
PEACH PICKING TIPS Always check the picking condition page or call the picking information line (508) 393-6406 for up to date picking information before coming out to the farm It is not necessary to wait for peaches to soften before they are tree ripe. Here are a few pointers for picking tree-ripe peaches and nectarines, and then handling them when you get home. When picking peaches and nectarines in the orchard:
- Look for the absence of green skin/background color – any green will have changed to yellow (or white if it is white flesh peach) when the peach is tree-ripe; if there is still some green skin, let the peach stay on the tree to ripen more
- Bright red-orcange skin color is a good sign of ripeness, however, it depends on the variety – some are very red-orange, some less so; a fully yellow/white background (no green) is still the best indicator of tree-ripeness on peaches and nectarines that don’t have as much red-orange color
- If you must squeeze the peach to assess ripeness, don’t squeeze hard that will result in an unsightly bruise.
- Larger peaches ripen first and peaches in the tops of the trees also ripen first
- A ripe peach will separate from the tree easily; if the peach is difficult to pick leave it on the tree to ripen longer
Once you get your peaches and nectarines home, here is the proper way to handle and fully ripen them:
- Do not put the peaches in the sun or a hot room or car trunk – they will not ripen evenly
- Do not put them in the refrigerator unless you want them to not ripen
- Put The Peaches on newspaper or paper towels in a single layer not touching each other
- Check to see as they start to soften by feeling them gently – don’t push hard on them or they will bruise
- when the fruit is soft, they are ripe and juicy, so ENJOY! Note this may take several days